Most restaurants are 100% vegan unless otherwise noted. It's not difficult at all to avoid animal products in New York <3
You can find my general NYC recommendation list here.
In no particular order....
1. Avant Garden- a romantic, cozy dinner in the east village.
menu favorites- artichoke or cremini mushroom toast and the housemade spaghetti.
2. Orchard Grocer- all vegan, palm oil free, grocery store and bodega on the lower east side.
menu favorites- the bowery sandwich with spicy mayo.....the best breakfast sandwich you will ever have! equivalent to a vegan bacon egg and cheese. check their instagram here and see their sandwiches for yourself.
3. P.S. Kitchen- unfortunately near times square, but central park is a 15 minute walk away!
menu favorites- truffle fries (!!), maitake steam bao, P.S. burger, stuffed pepper, colombian potato soup.
4. Urban Vegan Kitchen- comfort food and cocktails in the west village.
menu favorites- chickpea hush puppies, fried okra, crispy garlic broccolini
5. Luanne's Wild Ginger- an all-asian vegan restaurant in soho.
menu favorites- spring rolls, mango-avocado rolls, pineapple fried rice, black pepper seitan, thai curry
6. The Butcher's Daughter- vegetarian but plenty of vegan options and substitutes! The morning and afternoon menus are the best. Almost always a wait, especially on weekends.
menu favorites- market hummus bowl, butcher's grilled cheese, vegan banana bread, spicy merguez sandwich (or really anything with their sausage), french toast, and banana-walnut pancakes!
7. by Chloe- trendy American healthy-ish fast food (but vegan of course!)
menu favorites- mac and cheese, guac burger, all of the sweets!
8. Candle 79- chic locally-sourced vegan restaurant on the upper east side.
menu favorites- zucchini enchiladas, dumplings, morel ravioli
9. Blossom- intimate vegan restaurant and bar in the heart of Chelsea.
menu favorites- cashew cream ravioli, truffle mashed potatoes
10. Ladybird- for drunken late nights (but a bit pricey!) I've never actually been, and didn't have a chance to go prior to moving out of New York!
see the menu here.
11. Mrs. An Thai- all the way up on 99th street in my old neighborhood! Not fully vegan, but they do have a separate vegan menu.
menu favorites- any of the curries, spicy chinese broccoli, eggplant basil, and vegan thai coffee!